Space Category: Arts & Cultures
Mahatat is a Cairo-based social and cultural enterprise founded in 2011. Through contemporary art practices, Mahatat seeks to transform public spaces, create opportunities for exposure to the arts and offer needs-based learning experiences to artists, practitioners and entrepreneurs.
The exclusivity of the art scene in Egypt marginalizes the majority of the population from being an art audience and centralization of the arts deprives amateurs and emerging artists outside the capital from exposure and skills development opportunities.
Our role is to take art beyond decentralized channels and nurture creative expression and production of art as a visible and accessible part of our everyday life.
“It has been 30 years since I’ve seen an art performance on the street!” – An audience member from Damietta
We are facilitators, curators, consultants, and producers on matters related to arts in public space and community art. Collaborate with us on:
Public art performances and tours
• Producing quality art performances for public spaces and streets
• Touring artistic productions around Egypt based on our expertise in location scouting for site-specific performances
Community art days and programs
• Actualizing community art events, art days and neighborhood-based artistic events
• Developing tailored artistic events for educational, vocational or entertainment purposes
Learning & Research
• Authoring research and documentation on our areas of work based on a wealth of data gathered since inception
• Sustaining a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system in order to carefully craft projects considerate of the local environment and its peoples
Capacity building for artists
• Customizing artistic workshops and residencies
• Fostering access to our fully equipped workshop and co-working space for practical and administrative purposes
Cultural Entrepreneurship and management
• Promoting cultural entrepreneurship practices outside the capital city
• Growing a pool of volunteers across Egypt to create a network of cultural operators
• Providing consultancy services and cultural management workshops
“Drawing together made me feel like I have a purpose in life” – young girl after creating a communal mosaic in the street